glass also complemented the period's silvery metal accents and affinity
for slick, shiny surfaces. A successful application of a structural glass
veneer often resulted in a streamlined look characteristic of the Art
Moderne architectural style.
As tastes changed and production costs rose, however, pigmented
structural glass fell into disfavor and disuse by mid-20th century. With
today's rekindled interest in the Art Deco, Art Moderne, and Streamline
styles the preservation and replacement of pigmented structural glass
have now become an integral part of many rehabilitation projects, particularly
in relation to commercial storefronts.
pigmented structural glass enjoyed widespread popularity from the beginning
of the Great Depression to the outbreak of World War II, its origins can
be traced to the turn of the century. In 1900, the Marietta Manufacturing
Company claimed to be the first producer of pigmented structural glass,
rolling the first sheet of a "substitute for marble," Sani Onyx.
Penn-American Plate Glass Company quickly joined its ranks, manufacturing
white and black Carrara Glass around 1906.
Glass no doubt selected the name "Carrara" for the white glass's
close resemblance to the white
marble of the Carrara quarries of Italy. Shortly thereafter, Libby-Owens-Ford
Glass began production of their own version called Vitrolite.